Disclaimer: The following is a guide to roulette betting strategies. Players should remember that no strategy can guarantee a win, and that the house will always have the edge in roulette, and other casino games. The outcome of roulette is based entirely on luck, and players should never attempt to chase losses. Remember to take a break and gamble responsibly.
In this article, we are going to take a look at roulette in all of its forms, and popular strategies for playing them. Roulette players have spent years ironing out strategies and arguing over which ones are the best. We are going to take a look at each of them and provide some insight. You should always remember, however, that there is no guaranteed winning strategy for roulette.
How to Pick a Strategy for Roulette
The following are some of the most important points to consider when you consider what type of roulette strategy to use.
1. Choose the type of game
There are several different versions of roulette. While they may look similar, they often feature vastly different odds and betting options.
2. Consider your system
You can take two betting approaches in roulette - progressive and non-progressive. The former involves increasing your bet in some sort of pattern, while the latter is less structured.
3. Understand the types of bets
You can place many different types of bets in roulette. You should make sure you understand each of them thoroughly before you play.
4. Learn the betting limits
Different variations of roulette will allow for different bet sizes. Make sure you know the limits before you start considering your strategy.
5. The House always wins
It is important to remember that the house always comes out on top when you play roulette. Whatever your strategy is, there is no way of guaranteeing yourself a win. As such, make sure you gamble responsibly and don’t bet more than you can afford to lose.
Most Popular Roulette Wheel Strategies
The three most popular roulette betting strategies for European and American roulette are the following.
1. Martingale Strategy for Roulette
The Martingale strategy is a popular betting strategy in roulette and other games. The strategy involves players doubling their previous bet if they are unsuccessful. Of course, this strategies also has issues, as it relies on the assumption that a win will come eventually, and that is never guaranteed.
2. Fibonacci Strategy
The Fibonacci system is one of the most famous maths patterns ever. The previous two numbers are combined in the sequence to complete the next number. 1,2,3,5,8,13, and so on. This is then applied to betting on roulette, with your bet being the next number in the sequence.
3. D’Alembert Strategy
Like the previous two strategies, the D’Alembert system is a progressive betting strategy. With this strategy, players add one to their bet whenever they lose, and remove one whenever they win.
Other Betting Roulette Strategies
Those are not the only roulette strategies available. Below, we have highlighted three other popular roulette strategies.
James Bond Roulette Strategy
Like the man himself, the James Bond strategy is one of the more relaxed. It involves placing 20 units all around the roulette table, covering the majority of outcomes. The bets you will want to place are as follows: £14 on 19-36, £5 on 13-14-15-16-17-18, £1 on 0. Of course, there is no guarantee that the system will win, and you could end up losing a significant amount of money fairly quickly. You are also free to play with the size of the bets, as long as you maintain the same maths model.
Labouchere Roulette Strategy
The Labouchere betting system is one of the most flexible and can be one of the most fun to use. For this, you choose how much money you would like to win and break it down into smaller bets. For example, if you want to win £10, you can lay it out as 1-2-1-2-1-1-2. Then you take the two numbers on the outside and add them together. You then place this bet. This would be £3. If it wins, you remove the two numbers and do the same again, if it loses, you add the new number, which would be 3, and repeat the process.
Strategies for Popular Roulette Games
Lightning Roulette Strategy
Lightning Roulette is a popular variation on the classic roulette game developed by industry leader, Evolution. A standard version of roulette plays out, but on each spin, up to five numbers can be hit with lightning and given multipliers worth up to 500x the player’s stake.
Lightning Roulette is a different variation of the roulette game, and as such, it requires a different approach. Let’s take a look at some of the key points to take when playing.
- Focus on Single Numbers: One popular strategy that players take is to focus on previous lightning numbers. Placing inside bets on single numbers boosts the chance of you triggering one of the elusive Lightning Multipliers and landing one of the bigger wins in the game.
- Bet Equally Across Numbers: The odds of landing an individual number are low, and as such, it is recommended that you split your money evenly over a selection of numbers. Not only does this increase your chance of landing a win, but it also increases your chances of landing a Lightning Multiplier win.
- Set Limits: Regardless of how you choose to play Lightning Roulette, we would always recommend setting betting limits and managing your bankroll correctly. You should never chase losses and only ever bet what you can afford to lose.
- Split your Bets: This strategy is one of the more flexible approaches to take. For this, we recommend placing a mix of outside and inside bets. This can boost the odds a little. Though, it will also require placing more bets, and there is no guarantee that it will pay off.
- Focus on Outside Bets: If betting on inside bets and single numbers isn’t your thing, then you can still enjoy Lightning Roulette with a traditional betting approach. Sticking with even money, outside bets can still reap big rewards when playing Lightning Roulette and is a much less risky way of playing the game. Of course, the game still comes with risks, and you are never guaranteed a win.
American Roulette Strategy
American Roulette is probably the second most popular type of roulette game behind European Roulette. There are very few differences between the two, with the most notable being the addition of an extra zero on the wheel. This extra zero does tip the odds in the house’s favour slightly.
Let’s take a look at some important strategies and things to remember when you are playing American Roulette online.
- Obtain Bonuses and Perks: Before you play up American Roulette, make sure that you check to see if there are any bonuses or perks available for playing. This can help boost your bankroll a little bit before you play. Some of these perks can also help reduce the house-edge.
- Manage Your Bankroll: We always encourage our readers to gamble responsibly, and knowing how to manage your bankroll effectively is a huge part of this. Being able to manage your losses and know when to walk away will not only protect you financially, but will also boost your overall enjoyment of the game.
- Be Careful with Martingale: The Martingale strategy is among the most popular betting strategies. It involves doubling your bet every time you lose, as we have discussed elsewhere in this roulette guide. However, it is far from secure, and it can be a strategy that can see you lose money quickly. Remember, there is no guarantee you will win; this strategy relies on you winning at some point.
- Set Realistic Expectations: It is always important to manage your expectations when playing American Roulette or any variation of the game. The house edge in the game is very high, and the chances of you landing significant wins are low. You should never go into a game of roulette expecting a win.
- Practice American Roulette for Free: Of course, before you play online roulette, we recommend taking it for a spin online for free. There are plenty of free versions of American Roulette available, all of which will give you a good idea of what the game has to offer and help you understand different bets and strategies.
Online Roulette Strategy FAQs
What is a roulette doubling strategy / roulette double strategy in gambling?
A doubling strategy in roulette is a system where the players double their type of bet. The most popular type of doubling strategy in roulette is the Martingale strategy. This involves doubling your bet every time you lose. A reserve Martingale strategy is when players double their bet whenever they win.
What is the most successful roulette strategy?
Each of the strategies we have listed will vary in its success. The most popular type of strategy is the Martingale strategy, largely because of both its ease and logic. However, no strategy that we have listed is guaranteed to land you a win.
Is there a guaranteed roulette win strategy?
Put simply - no. There is no guaranteed way that a player can win at roulette, or any casino game for that matter. If someone tries to tell you otherwise, they are likely attempting to trick you. Roulette strategies can be a great way of minimising the house edge and helping you limit potential losses, but none of them can secure you a win.
What is the best roulette bet strategy?
As we have mentioned, there is no way you can ever guarantee a win, but some bets can be better placed than others. Even-money bets are the most popular bets to place, as they are often the simplest to understand. Placing units on individual numbers is never wise because the odds are so heavily against you. In the end though, there is no-one size fits all betting strategy in the game of roulette, with the house always guaranteed to win in the long-run.
Disclaimer: None of the listed betting strategies in this guide will guarantee you a win. The outcome of every game of roulette is based entirely on luck and in the end, the house always wins. Players should never chase losses and should stop playing if they are losing money they can not afford to bet. Check out our responsible gambling resources for more information.
Explore Mega Casino
Mega Casino is a fan favourite amongst those looking to play one of the widest selections of UK slot games online.
Choose from over 4,000 online slot games, live roulette games, blackjack, scratch cards, video poker and more.
Discover one of the most unique online gambling experiences!